1. BEGINNING WORK:|
- When you begin each on-line session, check your email and also the 'Announcements'
panel on the Assignments Calendar to see if there are any special messages
- You can use any browser (Explorer, Mozilla, Google Chrome, Safari, etc.). If you have a problem using any of these browsers please notify to Guillermo Rocha
3. TIME CONSIDERATIONS:|
- Some web pages have many graphics and may take some time to download
if you don't have a fast connection to the web. Be patient. Most pages will
download almost instantly or take perhaps thirty seconds. A few pages will
take a minute or two. The longest download time is about three minutes, and
that is only for about two web pages.
- WAIT UNTIL DOWNLOADING FINISHES BEFORE YOU ATTEMPT TO USE THE BUTTONS, LINKS OR TEXTBOXES.
- If you want speedier action, I suggest you use one of the school computers which are connected to the server by cable.
- Make sure you scroll to the bottom of each web page to be certain you've covered all the material and seen all available links.
- Most links are in the form of colored buttons or grey bars or buttons. There are a few 'underlined word' links.
- All 'back' links are at the bottom of the page. Other links may be in the body of the page.
5. BOOKMARKING/FAVORITE PLACES:|
- If you stop working in the middle of an exercise, you may want to
'bookmark' the web page so you can return to it quickly. But if you do this,
be aware that if the only link to the rest of the web site is a 'go back'
button, that button will not work. Bookmarking works best for pages that
have a fully defined link to the rest of the site. Try out the 'return' link
before you depend on bookmarking.
6. MULTIPLE WINDOWS:|
- Some pages of the web site have links that create new windows. You
may want to maximize such windows when they open. You may return to the original
page by closing the window.
7. SCREEN SIZE:|
- To avoid unnecessary scrolling, you may want to resize the area your
screen. I most commonly use 800 x 600 pixels, but sometimes switch to 1024
x 768 pixels. Find out what's best for you.
8. STRUCTURE OF THE WEB SITE:|
- The general structure of the web site is a hierarchy of 'menus'. To get
from one page to another, go back up and then down the menu hierarchy. Some
pages have 'side' links. From such links, the only place you can go is back
to the originating page. Some of the side links themselves have side links.
But there are never more than two side link steps. (See illustration on